We are always seeking new members with or without officiating experience. Please fill out a membership form or call New Member Coordinator Pat Kelloway at (661) 972-1483 to get more information.
Who We Are
- The Kern County Officials Association trains officials to work games in Kern County, California for CIF Central Section high schools, as well as many of the youth leagues. Most of our schools are roughly located within the metropolitan-area of Bakersfield, however we do officiate games in the cities of Arvin, Delano, Maricopa, McFarland, Shafter, Wasco, Taft and Tehachapi! Our members come from various walks of life and share in the love for football.
How to Join Us
- Joining the Kern County Officials Association is easy! Simply fill out the membership form or call us at (661) 972-1483 and someone will get in touch with you shortly.
- We offer a comprehensive training program for all officials, including first year officials. In July our study groups will begin at different locations lead by veteran officials. This provides valuable pre-season study of rules and situations for every official.
Your First Year
- First year officials are assigned weekly games. You will be working with the more experienced officials, first year officials can expect to gain valuable on-field experience as you are assigned youth football games. As the season and your experience progress, every first year official has the potential of working high school football games by the end of the season based on their abilities.
- There is no substitute for the on-field experience you get by working youth football. It is a huge stepping-stone in the process of becoming and remaining a good football official. Many of our veteran officials still work youth ball to improve themselves and so they can help out new officials.
Where do I get the uniform and supplies?
There are several on-line suppliers of officiating uniforms and equipment. We recommend www.ump-attire.com, but there are other online suppliers that can be found on our links or equipment page. Contact us before you purchase anything to ensure you are buying the correct products.
How much money will I make?
Officials receive approximately $140 for typical JV & Varsity doubleheaders on a Friday night. Freshman games and youth football are $55-$65 per game.
How do I move up?
- Work hard, study hard, and become the best official you can be at the level you do. Once you are the best Frosh/JV official, be the best Varsity official. After 5 years or so, you may decide to start working junior college football. It takes about 5 years of JC experience to move on to NCAA, and about 5-7 years of NCAA to move to the NFL. Whether you want to move up or not, don’t forget that the reason you are officiating is to have FUN! You will meet and work with some of Kern County's finest people that will turn into life-long friends.